4.16.2005

April 15, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush,

On tax day, I try to imagine what it would be like to feel happy to pay taxes, to feel like the money was coming back to me in services like healthcare or extended paternity leave. I imagine that my money is being spent to better my life and the lives of others. I imagine that my money is going towards improving schools in the inner city and helping to create jobs for those that need them. I imagine that my money goes to artists creating challenging, new work. I imagine that my money is going to scientists researching new cures. I imagine that my money is going to finding renewable energy sources, to cleaning our water supply, to bettering the air. I imagine the possibilities, and they feel endless.

And then I wake up and I pay them anyway and the act feels useless.

Dan

1 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Dan,

I just want to say how much I like your blog. I've been reading it for a couple of months (off and on), but I've never commented. I recently added you as a link on my blog (Annie Rambles), so now I'm stopping in every day to see what you wrote.

Paying taxes used to make me feel like I was doing my part, but, now I just feel like, more than ever, the money is being thrown away.

Take care - I'm looking forward to hearing about the birth of your baby.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home